August 28, 2011

Lets just drive~


Yo!
On the last post I promised that I’ll write about Matsushita Yuya ne? Alright, here it goes~

Yuya finally released his 9th single [SUPER DRIVE] on the 24th August and the coupling songs for the single includes ‘Hot Girl!!’, ‘Lonely Rain’ and a cover song of ‘Rock with You’ which was famously done by the late Michael Jackson.


The single’s song, Super Drive, was released a few weeks earlier than it was initially planned and so, the fans of this singer-actor were finally able to get a bite out of the single. Sure, I got a taste of it too.

My first impression of the song when I first heard was; Womanizer. No, that’s not how I would describe the song but it was the beat, rhythm, tune, melody (whatever you may call it) of the song. I was taken aback by the song as it was not the usual type of song Yuya would do. Sure he did Foolish Foolish which sounded like So Sick by Ne-yo, but it was not that bad as the lyrics meant something. But for Super Drive, I laughed to tears in dismay.

It is a fact that it’s different from what he usually does in his work, and it might get him somewhere up the leader of success, but I don’t like it because it reminds me of someone I don’t like listening to. It doesn’t challenge his vocal range and too many repetitive words. Yeah, yeah, it’s danceable and groovy, but the deep meaning of the song is nowhere to be found. Compared to the song I’m Sexy, I’d prefer I’m Sexy… because it’s catchy, weird, funny but enjoyable at the same time. Haha!

Usually his songs take a short time to get attached too but Super Drive took a long time to get along with. Sure, after awhile you’ll get used to it and instead of remembering other songs you only listen to his song—that’s what happened to me—but at the end of it all, it’s still the least favourite song for me. I hope they’ll think twice before doing songs like this again… Yuya can do better than this. Something like Secret Love or Agitation… great songs really!

Thanks to the PV, I liked the song just a little bit more. As quoted from the U_staff, “the most danceable song in Yuya’s history.” And here I just want to make one thing clear; Yuya is influenced by the late King of Pop… nothing else. J

The song Hot Girl!! On the other hand is more to a summer time kind of song. *Checks lyric*… yup, it’s a summer time theme as the first thing Yuya sings is, “Summer time!” We can put 4 Seasons in the same category of this song. This song is written by the man himself and to me, it sounds cheeky, fun and on the ears. You could also feel the tropical feeling from listening to it… or maybe it’s just me. (^.^) Nonetheless, this song can bring a smile upon your face as you feel the invisible summer sun and breeze~ (*^_^*)

So, the other coupling song in the single is called ‘Lonely Rain’. This, this song can pierce through a heart with ease… at least for me, and some other big odd numbers of Yuya’s fans whenever they listened to the song. The music is beautifully done as you can clearly listen to the overwhelming sadness evident in the song. As Yuya starts to sing the song, the emotion that poured into the song by that man came flowing out and you could say… how lonely it feels. This is my favourite song from the album, and this is the voice that I fell in love with. To fully understand the voice and melody, one must sit still and listen, and I did which in the end, brought tears to my eyes.

The PV didn’t do justice though. It did, at the beginning, but Yuya kept glancing at the camera, which made me and my twin Sam loose the connection and feeling towards the song. I would have cried to the video if it’s just Yuya (which was already is on the PV), just sticking to the walking on the beach all alone and lonely. Get rid of the make-up and try on a 2 sleepless night kind of eyes (he looked tired), or bloodshot eyes would be nice and to top it all off, a crying Yuya at the end; just a tear or two would break a girls heart or at least get an “awww~~” reaction from the girls. Yuya is great at acting, I believe that so because I cried when I watched a snippet of Yuya acting as Ren in Asu no Hikari wo Tsukame 2. That scene showed Ren finding his girlfriend lying motionless on the ground and as he tries to wake her up he realised that she had bled to death which resulted to Ren screaming in agony.

When I was explaining how Yuya should look like in the Lonely Rain PV and when I was describing the scene, I was listening to Lonely Rain and I felt my chest squeezed tightly and something stuck in my throat… I felt like crying. (;___;)

*wipe tears* Ok now, I should continue on with the next song.

The last song in the single is none other than the Rock with You cover. The original was perfectly done so my expectation is high.

I was actually scared that Yuya might not have done the song justice that it deserves after listening to the single’s main song… but my twin Sam told me not to worry as she had went to his live and watched him performed the song. So, my worries lessen but soon disappeared after I listened to the whole song itself. He did the song justice! Though there are a few mispronunciations here and there, but that does not matter.  It’s actually good! This is the 2nd full English song that he made official in his discography (the other is Foolish Foolish Remix English version) and I’d day, I hope he does more English songs. All he needs to have is a very nice song to sing and someone to help him with the pronunciations with certain words because he actually got good English slang for someone like him. (^___^)

So, that’s my two cent on the single. Not a total win but it’s a good listen. J

Winning song  : Lonely Rain

No comments:

Post a Comment